This is primarily the responsibility of the MARKHAM FIRE & EMERGENCY SERVICES. The production of toxic vapours in buildings makes fire fighting potentially dangerous, particularly if a large amount of smoke is being generated.
Only after ensuring everyone has evacuated the area, the alarm has been activated and the MARKHAM FIRE & EMERGENCY SERVICES notified, should an experienced person (familiar with fire extinguisher operation) attempt to extinguish a small fire. This is a voluntary act. Never attempt to fight a fire alone. If it cannot be easily extinguished with the use of a portable fire extinguisher, leave the area and confine the fire by closing the door. Leave the building and await the arrival of the MARKHAM FIRE & EMERGENCY SERVICES.
Suggested Operation of Portable Fire Extinguishers
Remember the acronym (PASS):
- P – Pull the safety pin
- A – Aim the nozzle
- S – Squeeze the trigger handle
- S – Sweep from side to side (watch for fire restarting)
When the fire is extinguished, back away from the fire and watch for a restart, do not turn your back on an extinguished fire.
- Never re-hang extinguishers after use.
- Ensure they are properly recharged by a person that is qualified to service portable fire extinguishers.
- Keep extinguishers in a visible area and unobstructed at all times.