Ethical Recruitment Policy & Guidelines
Seneca's Career Development department is a member of the Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers (CACEE), and adheres to the Guidelines for Ethical Recruitment at Post-Secondary Educational Institutions and expects our employer partners to do so as well.
Employer Terms & Conditions
Employers utilizing the services provided by the Career Development department must abide by the following Terms and Conditions. The Career Development department reserves the right to refuse any person or organization use of its services.
The Career Development department requires employers who use its services to adhere to the Employment Standards Act, The Ontario Human Rights Code, Occupational Health & Safety Act and Seneca's Discrimination and Harassment Policies and Procedures in their recruitment and employment practices.
Job Postings and Employment Opportunities
Employers must provide the following information in order to post a job opportunity on our job posting website. Failure to do so may result in the job posting not being approved:
- name of organization with full mailing address and phone number
- full name of contact person with phone number and email address
- an adequate description of the nature of the position being offered and the type of job (e.g., full time permanent, contract, volunteer, etc.)
Recruitment Agencies and Third Party recruiters may be required to provide the name of the organization for which they are recruiting. This information will be kept confidential, and will not be disclosed in the job posting.
The Career Development department will not accept the following types of employment:
- work that is pyramid-type or multi-level marketing (MLM) in nature, or work for organizations that are pyramid-type or multi-level marketing (MLM) in structure
- work which requires the purchase of a service/product, requires a monetary deposit or similar, as a condition of employment
- work involving unpaid or reduced pay for training (with the exception of volunteer organizations)
- work involving credit in lieu of pay
- employment contracts or franchise contracts which charge a fee (ie: certification fee, licencing fee, equipment purchase, initial investment in a company)
On Campus Recruiting
The Career Development department prohibits the following recruitment strategies on campus:
- entering classrooms during a scheduled class, tutorial or lab to promote employment opportunities and/or distribute employment materials
- using common internal and external areas on campus such as waiting areas, lobbies, alcoves, break rooms, entrances, library, eating areas, etc to conduct impromptu recruiting activities
- postering and/or displaying employment advertisements in unauthorized areas and/or in authorized areas without approval from the Career Services department
Refusal of Service
The Career Development department reserves the right to remove or refuse any employer conducting recruitment on campus or job postings where:
- non-compliance with these terms and conditions has occurred
- incorrect or misleading information has been provided
- there are founded complaints from students or Seneca personnel regarding unethical recruitment practices
- the employment opportunity is considered by the Career Development department to not represent a viable work opportunity for the students
- the behaviour or conduct of an employer in their involvement with the Seneca represents unethical recruitment conduct and/or is deemed contrary to the Career Development department's policies and practices
Seneca's Career Development department will not be liable to employers with respect to any loss or damage which may have resulted directly or indirectly in regard to the services supplied by the Career Development department.
Links and Third Party Content
This site may contain links to other sites. If you visit any linked site, it is your responsibility to take measures to protect against viruses and other destructive elements.
Seneca's Career Development department is not responsible for the contents of any such linked page or any other page not under its control, and does not endorse any linked web sites, the information appearing thereon or any of the products or services described.