|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
Bioinformatics is the application of computer programming to the management and analysis of biological information and is used to address biological problems. Bioinformatics is essential in examining how data from biological experiments can be used to generate critical information about gene sequence and function, protein structure, molecular evolution, drug targets and disease mechanisms in today’s science– and technology–driven world. This emerging field requires individuals with a multi– disciplinary background in biology and computer science.
This program is designed to meet the increased demand for trained bioinformatics professionals by providing further training for people holding a university degree or three-year college diploma in biotechnology (or a biotechnology–related program).
As a student in this program, you’ll receive specific training in bioinformatics, focusing on:
- computer operating systems (UNIX, Windows)
- programming and scripting (Perl, HTML, Java)
- data Storage, management and analysis (Oracle, SQL)
- computer applications used in this field
- current molecular biology laboratory techniques.
- A recognized degree or three year post secondary diploma from an accredited institution in Biotechnology, Biology, or a closely related field.
- English proficiency at the postsecondary level.
- Pre-Admissions English test - Cost $55
- Logic test
- Applicant profile
- Applicants will be invited to attend an orientation session where they will complete the Pre-Admissions English test, logic test and applicant profile.
- Applicants are ranked based on the strength of their Pre-Admissions English test, logic test and applicant profile.
- Admission to this program is highly competitive. Only the top ranked applicants will be offered a seat in the program.
- Although not required for admission, the following are recommended for your success in the program:
- A home PC or laptop and ISP
- Familiarity with statistics
- Basic computer skills including office software
- Previous exposure to computer programming/coding.
Bioinformatics is a rapidly expanding area requiring personnel with multi–disciplinary backgrounds in biotechnology and computer science. With your graduate certificate in Bioinformatics, you’ll be prepared for a successful career in a variety of roles such as bioinformatics technician, bioinformatics scientist or as a bioinformatics resource for a biotechnology or pharmaceutical laboratory.
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
|Davenport University||• Any relevant Bachelor or Master of Business Administration|
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant term.
Please select the curriculum from the Academic Year in which you started (or will be starting) your studies. An Academic Year begins in September and ends in August of the following year.
|2014/2015 Academic Year|
|BIF712||Concepts of Programming with Perl||6|
|BIF713||Operating Systems and Project Management||3|
|BIF804||Molecular Biology and Biotechnology||5|
|BIF805||Biological Data Systems||4|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|BIF724||Bioinformatics Programming with Perl||5|
|BIF807||Data Driven Approaches to Analysis||3|
|BIF806||Independent Group Project||1|
|BIF812||Concepts of Programming with Java||6|
|2015/2016 Academic Year|
|Concepts of Programming with Perl|
|Operations Systems and Project Management|
|Molecular Biology and Biotechnology|
|Biological Data Systems|
|Bioinformatics Programming with Perl|
|Independant Group Project|
|Data Driven Approaches to Analysis|
|Concepts of Programming with Java|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:|| (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22840
|International Admissions Advisor:||Susan Gao
(416) 491-5050 Ext. 22365
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
(416) 491-5050 Ext. 33006
|Student Advisor:||Monica Russell
(416) 491-5050 Ext. 33769
|Program Coordinator:||Dan Fieldhouse
(416) 491-5050 Ext. 33321
|Program Chair:||Paola Battiston
(416) 491-5050 Ext. 33760