Visual Effects for Film and Television
|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
In the VFT program, you’ll be introduced to the various techniques used to create visual effects for film and television. Your studies will focus on the software tools used to create visual effects and issues involved in combining these effects with live action footage. The result of your final project will be a professional portfolio which may be used to apply for employment. Software taught in this course includes The Foundry's Nuke compositing program and Autodesk's Maya 3D package. Programs are normally offered twice per year.
- A recognized degree or post secondary diploma from an accredited institution in a fine art, 2D/3D animation, photography, film/video, architecture, or graphic design; OR
- Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with 3 to 5 years of documented work experience in a related field. Relevant references must be provided.
- English proficiency at the college level.
- Applicants will be required to attend a mandatory arts based test and submit a visual arts based portfolio and resume. In the event of oversubscription, additional selection criteria may be used.
- Although not required for admission, the following are considered assets:
- One or more of the following: visual arts background; classical animation; fine art; graphic design; architectural/engineering or computer graphics including experience with Windows operating systems;
- Additional experience with Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, or any 3D program.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well-organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
The entertainment industry needs qualified professionals to create visual effects. Earn a graduate certificate in Visual Effects for Film and Television in just two semesters and you could be in demand as a digital effects artist, digital compositor or lighting artist.
Diploma to Degree... and Beyond
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant semester.
- Industry overview and production techniques.
- Masking, keying-matte creation, motion tracking, image stabilization.
- 3D visual effects such as particle systems, motion graphics, texture mapping.
- Digital painting & retouching.
- 2D/3D integration.
- Color correction & film/video grain management.
- Green screen filming techniques.
- 3D Modelling, Texturing, Rendering and Lighting.
- 3D Tracking.
Each class will consist of effects principles, hands-on demonstrations, exercises and projects. The student's final demo reel is included in this program.
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|VFT701||2D and 3D Compositing||4|
|VFT711||Procedural Effects Animation||4|
|VFT712||Matchmoving for VFX||2|
|VFT714||Look Development for VFX||2|
|VFT715||Asset Development for VFX||3|
|VFT716||Introduction to Python Programming||2|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|VFT801||2D and 3D Compositing II||6|
|VFT810||Maya Dynamics II||3|
|VFT811||Procedural Effects Animation II||3|
|VFT814||Look Development for VFX II||3|
|VFT815||Asset Development for VFX II||4|
|For more information, please visit our website http://sca.senecac.on.ca.
For general inquiries and to arrange a tour, please call (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33850.
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Bridget De Vries
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22807
|International Admissions Advisor:||Salaha Fatima
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22081
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33008
|Program Coordinator:||Joe Raasch
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33857
|Program Chair:||Mark Jones
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33488
“VFT is amazing. I learned all the modern tools and techniques and was able to hit the ground running when I got hired in the industry. ”
Digital Compositor–Arc Productions
"If you can picture yourself doing something creative and rewarding with your life, then you can turn it around in about 8 months by taking the VFX program at Seneca."
Daniel St. Amant