FCAD grads take centre stage during awards season
Graduates from the Faculty of Communication, Art and Design have reason to celebrate their achievements with a win at this year’s Academy Awards and nominations for Canadian Screen Awards.
Five graduates from the Animation (ANI) and Visual Effects for Film and Television (VFT) programs worked on films in two categories — Best Animated Feature Film and Best Visual Effects.
Inside Out wins for Best Animated Feature Film
- Deanna Marsigliese, Animation Graduate — Character Artist
- Graham Finley, Animation Graduate — Fix and Additional Animator
The Revenant, nominated for Best Visual Effects
- Ben Warburton, VFT Graduate — Digital Compositor
- Guillermo Ramos, VFT Graduate — Digital Compositor
- Vanessa Romero, VFT Graduate — Digital Compositor
Canadian Screen Awards
The spotlight will also be on a number of VFT graduates who have received nominations for the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards (CSA), taking place on Sunday, March 13 in Toronto. A chance for the Canadian film and television industry to celebrate its own, the CSA’s honour Canadian productions and talent who excel in front of the camera and behind the scenes in film, television and digital media.
The nominees include:
- Geoff Sayer, Senior Compositor — Best Visual Effects, Beauty and the Beast
- Harshal Mistry, Digital Compositor — Best Visual Effects, Haven - See No Evil
- Cary Smith, Digital Compositor — Best Visual Effects, Haven - See No Evil
- Engin Arslan, Post-production lighting — Best Visual Effects, Vikings - To The Gates!
- Rob Kennedy, Digital Compositor — Achievement in Visual Effects, Remember
The Oscar statuette is the copyrighted property of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and the statuette and the phrases "Academy Award(s)" and "Oscar" are registered trademarks under the laws of the United States and other countries.