First-year Veterinary Technology student – important information
All students are able to order approved uniform scrubs online through Scrubs Canada. Shipping is free for orders over $50 and there is a free exchange program.
MAEVN is the Seneca approved uniform scrub style that you must purchase. Using the same uniforms ensures accurate colours when ordering. You are welcome to purchase any style of MAEVN scrubs as long as you order in the colour of your year. The colour of your scrubs must be Pewter. Please use the code ‘SCKC15’ in the Vouchers box when paying for your purchase to receive a Seneca discount.
Coveralls and boots will be provided to you. The boots will be standard small, medium and large sizes. Please do not bring your own boots to the facility.
Over the next few semesters, you will be required to purchase safety glasses, feline and canine nail clippers, hemostats, thermometer, bandage scissors and bandage supplies, slides and slide boxes. You have the option of purchasing all of these items over the course of the summer or as a kit during the first week of classes. The cost of the kit will be approximately $125.
Lockers in our Animal Health Facility can be rented online for $12 per semester or $22 for the year and will be available during the second week of school through Student Services. Locks must remain on the lockers and are the property of Seneca.
In November, the VTE program will visit the Royal Winter Fair and the ticket cost will be $20. More information will be provided to you during class.
Digital Education Application
The VTE program is moving towards digital platforms that will enhance the way you learn at Seneca. There will be a mandatory fee of $55 per semester which is paid directly to the web based company in order to gain access to the system. Payment will be made directly to Comptraker. This system will allow students to track their competencies and access important areas from their electronic devices. Information about the system being used will be provided to you during VTE’s program orientation.
Semester One textbook list All textbooks can be purchased at Seneca’s Bookstore or online.
Veterinary Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (APY112)
- Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for Veterinary Technicians (2nd ed,); Thomas Colville, Joanna Bassert Elsevier/Mosby-required
- Clinical Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual for Veterinary Technicians (2nd ed.); Thomas Colville, Joanna Bassert
Clinical Care of Animals I (CCA112)
- Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for Veterinary Technicians; Thomas Colville, Joanna Bassert, Elsevier/Mosby-required ISBN: 978-0-323-04685-5
- McCurnin’s Clincial Textbook for Veterinary Technicians (7th ed.); Joanna Bassert, Dennis McCurin ISBN: 978-1-4160-5700-0
- Clinical Textbook for the Veterinary Textbook for the Veterinary Team; Heather Prendergast, Saunders/Elsevier ISBN: 978-1-4377-0446-4
- Veterinary Clinical Laboratory Procedures I (CLP100)
- Laboratory Procedures for Veterinary Technicians (6th ed.); Mosby, Hendrix and Sirois ISBN: 978-0-323-16930-1
Veterinary Etymology (ETY100)
- All Illustrate Guide to Veterinary Medical Terminology (soft cover and access code) (4th ed.); Janet Amundson Romich ISBN: 10: 1-133-12576-X ISBN: 13: 978-1-133-12576-1
- Saunders Veterinary Terminology Flash Cards; Saunders, Elsevier ISBN: 9871416161380
Medical Clinics I (MED101)
- Animal Restraint for Veterinary Professionals (2nd ed.); C.C. Sheldon, Teresa Sonsthagen, James Topel, Mosby/Elsevier