Honours Bachelor of Child Development
Program Learning Outcomes
This Seneca program has been validated by the Credential Validation Service as an Ontario College Credential as required by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Analyze and evaluate past and current theories of child development and determine their relevance for application in a variety of child and family programs and services.
- Plan and implement appropriate and comprehensive individual and group programs and curricula to meet the developmental needs of children and their families in a variety of contexts.
- Integrate and apply relevant legislation, policies, procedures and regulations in a broad range of early childhood education programs and settings within a changing social context.
- Make sound judgments using effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills and act according to professional ethics and standards.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity and fairness in all contexts related to children and their families.
- Develop programs and services that are responsive to and inclusive of the diverse needs of groups and individuals.
- Develop and maintain positive, respectful, nurturing and responsive relationships with individual children, groups of children, families, co-workers and the community through effective written, oral, non-verbal, visual and electronic communication.
- Plan, communicate and evaluate responses to client needs as part of an interdisciplinary team serving families and young children.
- Utilize a variety of effective observation techniques and research strategies to pursue best practices and conduct applied research relevant to the field of early child development and family service.
- Plan, develop and implement integrated/effective advocacy strategies in collaboration with colleagues, families and community partners to further the interests of all stakeholders.
- Examine and reflect upon one’s own practice to assess one’s effectiveness and modify actions/activities accordingly.
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the society and culture in the world, and genre of a traditional liberal arts education.