GlobalPay for Students
The most efficient payment process for an international student to pay their student fees from outside of Canada is through Western Union’s GlobalPay for Students. This option allows you to pay your student fees in the currency of your choice. Note: This is not a payment through Western Union Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying a Western Union Bank account, and then Western Union transfers the funds to Seneca College in Canadian dollars.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make the payment are provided below.
Benefits of Using Western Union’s GlobalPay for Students
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This amount is then converted to Canadian dollars.
- The exchange rate quote is locked in for your payment for 72 hours after the quote is obtained.
- The exchange rate is very competitive when compared to your financial institution’s retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the wire transfer that you initiate is a local transfer.
- There are NO transaction charges from Western Union or Seneca College, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
Efficient and Timely Posting:
- Please include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your Seneca College student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Navigate to the Western Union GlobalPay for Students website
Step 2: Provide Student/Payer Information
- Complete the required fields on Western Union’s website (Student’s Seneca College ID number, student’s first and last name, email address, etc.) and select NEXT.
Step 3: Enter Payment Details
- Enter the amount you wish to pay in Canadian dollars and select NEXT.
- Select the currency that you would like to pay in* from drop down list. You will notice on the right-hand side that you now see the amount that you will be paying in the currency selected.** Select NEXT.
- Select the checkbox if you would like to receive the payment instructions via email.
- Complete other fields as listed if payer is not the student then select NEXT.
- Review conditions and select the checkbox, then select SUBMIT.
- NOTE: You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups on your computer in order to view the payment instructions.
Step 4: Bank Transfer
- Print your payment instructions and make the payment. For most countries this will be by wire at your bank.***
- Instruct your bank to wire transfer funds to the Western Union bank account indicated on your payment instructions.
- The reference number on the payment instructions is very important. It MUST be included on your payment in order for the funds to be correctly and promptly applied to your student fee account. A reference number should NOT be used more than once. If you are making a second payment, or have a quote that has expired, please go through Steps 1-3 again to get new payments instructions with a new reference number.
- The payment must be sent within 72 hours of the quote or Western Union shall use the current exchange rate to convert the currency. The expiry of the quote is indicated on the bottom of the payment instructions that you have printed.
Step 5: Payment Finalized
- While the transfer is in progress your account will continue to show the outstanding amount.
- Seneca College will post the Canadian dollar equivalent to your student account, generally two to five days after your local bank initiates payment.
* If your local currency is not an option available in the system, you will need to choose another currency on the list to arrange your payment, or choose another payment method. The subject line should read “Western Union payment issue”. Please indicate what currency you are trying to pay in, or where you are trying to pay from, and what the precise issue is.
** When paying from China or India, you will be given your rate when you process your transfer per the payment instructions.
*** For payments from India, China and South Korea, you will be instructed to pay on a particular website or bank (e.g. ICICI for India)