Our Shared Future
Benefits to the Financial Services Sector
The Centre for Financial Services works with key allied partners to anticipate industry direction and fulfill its changing needs. It is committed to providing leading-edge, cost effective and customized education, as well as professional development and training programs to assist firms to train and develop their people to keep pace with competition.
The Centre delivers:
- A pool of well-educated, highly trained graduates and co-op students
- Curriculum and training integrated with the newest technology to meet the changing job requirements in the global workplace
- Highly trained financial services educators and instructors
- Top facilities and resources for collaborative applied research
- Teaching fellowship opportunities
- Client contact centre laboratories for employee training
- A forum for financial industry partners to exchange ideas
- A business network into the private and public sector
- Library of relevant section information
A Centre of Excellence
In October 2005, the College recognized the contributions of the Centre for Financial Services and designated it to be a Centre of Excellence with the following features:
- Responsive to needs and issues in the external world
- Modest in assuming an appropriate place within this external world
- Involved in needs and issues which have a significant time-line of opportunity and challenge
- Comprehensive in its marshalling of college academic (primary) and service (support) resources to address the Centre’s role
- Recognizing the distinct nature of college-based education
- Promoting the role of the college graduate as an engaged participant in the external world
- Clarifying the valued nature of the graduate college professional be that technician, technologist, para-professional, profession-assistant, financial consultant etc. within the recognized hierarchy of a field
As broad general goals the designation of a Centre of Excellence has brought with it the following requirements:
- Financial Sustainability: A financially sustaining venture with a strong business plan that will seek out opportunities to support excellence in research, publications, conferences and product development.
- Intrinsic Benefits: Through its range of activities, programs, services and partnerships, generates recognizable non-monetary benefits that help move the College towards its strategic goals.
- Applied Research: Based on a strong intellectual community of innovation, shared vision, research development and purpose.
- Innovative Partnerships: Leads the sector by developing strategic partnerships to advance the body of knowledge through the phases of research, development, and implementation.
- Policy Development: Viewed by external organizations as an essential resource that has the ability to lead, influence, shape and establish policy and standard sector practices.
- Services and Programming: Respected for the quality of people, ideas, resources, services, and programming connected to the Centre which directly benefits students and other stakeholders.
To achieve the College objectives for a Centre of Excellence, and meet the features and requirements as articulated above, the Centre for Financial Services has established for itself the following Mission, Vision, and Values Statements:
- Mission Statement: Strives to be the premier source for the delivery of Practical, Professional Development, Applied Research and Educational Solutions in financial services
- Vision Statement: Connecting Talent, Experience, Innovation