Pro Forma Module Outline
The Smart Spending Management Architectur
Part I - Money Well Spent Concept
Module #1: Modern Comptrollership
- Explain and articulate the concept of and principles associated with modern comptrollership.
- Incorporate the core components of comptrollership into their operational management strategy.
- Brief legislators on how to align governance and oversight of programs and services with comptrollership.
- Justify a program or service on the basis of the value it will add for professional and career development of a manager in the municipal and local government sectors.
Part II - The Architecture and Framewor
Module #2: The Legislative & Regulatory Structure of Public Spending
- Read and analyze a statute, its regulations and guidelines from a public administration perspective.
- Explain to colleagues the legislative and regulatory parameters that provide the foundation for a particular program or service and how to account for money allocated for it.
- Manage a statutorily driven program in conformance with regulations and guidelines.
Module #3: Transparency
- Explain and articulate the principles of transparency and their relationship with privacy.
- Design and develop a transparency policy for a spending management program.
- Manage spending in a transparent environment.
Module #4: The Ethics of Spending Management
- Identify an ethical issue.
- Prepare a briefing document that outlines the ethical dimensions of the problem.
- Resolve an ethical issue by using a rational process.
Module #5: Public Policy & The Politics of Spending
- Articulate the basic principles of public policy and politics.
- Participate in informed discussions on public policy and political issues with elected officials and senior administrators in municipalities, agencies, boards and commissions (ABCs).
- Advise elected officials on the public policy and political implications of proposals with emphasis on their fiscal and funding ramifications.
- Prepare cogent public policy and political briefs.
- Liaise with and respond to the public on a professional level on public policy and political matters in conformance with administrative directives and guidelines.
Part III - Smart Spending Management
Module #6: Cost Reduction
- Explain and articulate the concept of and principles associated with cost reduction.
- Differentiate between cost management and cost reduction.
- Utilize cost reduction as the foundation for smart spending management.
Module #7: The Municipal Spending Scorecard
- Explain and articulate the concept of and principles associated with the balanced scorecard.
- Design and develop a municipal spending scorecard.
- Use the scorecard as a spending management tool.
Module #8: Data Mining & Analytics
- Explain what analytics is to other stakeholders.
- Develop the framework for an analytics strategy.
- Work as a member of an analytics development team.
- Analyze analytics in a spending management context.
Module #9: Spending Performance Measurement
- Explain what performance measurement is in a strategic management context.
- Distinguish between a performance measure and metric.
- Identify and develop metrics that have Key Performance Indicator (KPI) capability.
- Be able to lead a program management team in development of a performance measurement program.
Part IV - Accountability
Module #10: Accountability for Money Well Spent
- Distinguish between "responsibility" and "accountability".
- Draw upon learning outcomes from previous modules and use them to develop a best practices accountability report. Conceptualize an accountability framework that has the appropriate focus on reporting that conforms to the program mandate.