A Snapshot – Who We Are, Who We Serve, and Where We’re Going
Welcome to the new School of Tourism at Seneca. We say “new” because we’ve shifted from quietly being an incredible source of tourism training, education and graduates to declaring our place as an industry leader.
For 35+ years we’ve been recognized for our work in the tourism field. We’re shaping this recognition into something strategic and deliberate: a commitment to service leadership. Whether through our curriculum, instructors or graduates, our globally minded service leadership orientation will be the industry standard in tourism training and education.
The School of Tourism is well known for talented, job-ready graduates and strong sector partnerships. As evidence of this, our last five years show a 66% increase in first year student enrolment, moving us from 200 to 850 full-time students.
Who We Serve. How We Serve.
Seneca serves the hospitality and tourism industry with two distinct products:
- Market-driven programs that set the standard with clear outcomes and expectations.
- Service-driven graduates with a knack for problem solving and a unique understanding of the business aspects of service leadership.
We Serve Students
Through Applied Experiential Learning
Our students perfect core skills and techniques in first-rate hospitality, tourism and flight services labs. They experience innovative learning in-class and with industry partners, building a suite of skills and knowledge for the workforce.
In order to graduate and meet industry needs students must complete a field placement or externship. These opportunities equip students with valuable perspectives on their industry, and help them hone their professionalism and build their networks.
Students choose Seneca in the knowledge that after graduation they’ll be very well positioned in the job market.
We Serve Faculty and Staff
We’re proud of our faculty and staff and are committed to engage them in our new direction. We encourage their professional development, particularly through innovation in teaching and learning strategies, services leadership research and industry currency opportunities.
We Serve Through Partnerships
We owe much of our emerging market position to our learning partnership strategy connecting students, faculty and staff with industry. Partner guidance and resources helps keep curriculum current, and ensures students train with the latest technology. These reciprocal connections support the needs of the industry in the form of well trained graduates.
Our current partners include:
- Amadeus – Business performance products/solutions for the travel industry
- Delta Hotels and Resorts – Markham
- Guestlogix – Mobile point-of-sale hardware and technology
- Jazz – one of the largest regional airlines in the world
- LoyaltyOne – AIR MILES Reward Program
- Manulife Financial Travel Insurance
- Merit Travel Group
- Sabre Travel Network – Technology solutions for the travel industry
- Sabre GDS, ClientBase, Trams
- Sheraton Parkway Hotel
Where We’re Going
We’re committed to serving the education and training needs of the hospitality, tourism and travel sector, We will review opportunities for providing new programs and credentials, with a focus on contemporary leadership, management and business & analytics needs.
A Different Type of Graduate
Our graduates are leaders in service provision. They understand that increased global awareness is at the root of their industry. Our graduates students have a global perspective, which means:
- Cultural awareness in the context of our service leadership orientation
- Innovation and creativity in problem solving
- Ease and familiarity with technology
- Lingual flexibility