The Student Strike Relief Fund provides assistance for students who have experienced financial hardship as a result of the strike. The fund is consistent with the framework developed by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development in consultation with student leaders and colleges.

Students who submit a request to withdraw from their program by December 5, 2017 can apply for a full refund of their tuition. They will not be eligible for any additional support through the Student Strike Relief Fund. Please visit Registration for further information about withdrawing.

Students will be eligible to receive up to $500 for unexpected incremental costs, for example, additional child care fees, incremental travel costs (such as rebooked flight, train or bus tickets), and incremental living expenses (such as January rent) that caused financial hardship as a result of the fall term extending into winter.

The financial assistance that students receive from this fund will not impact their OSAP or Second Career funding or eligibility. In reviewing applications, Seneca may consider how much additional OSAP or other forms of financial support the student receives for living expenses.


  • Full-time domestic and international students who remain enrolled in their program until the end of the fall semester (Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018)

Timelines for Applying

  • Students may submit applications up until Tuesday, April 24, 2018
  • Reviews of applications will begin after Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017 (the withdrawal deadline date)


  • Expenses that may be covered elsewhere, such as incremental OSAP funding, will not be paid through this fund
  • Costs claimed must be for unexpected incremental (additional) costs; expenses that are above and beyond the regular expected costs associated with the semester of study
  • Categories for costs include incremental travel costs, incremental living expenses (food, housing, transportation), incremental child care expenses, and other incremental expenses based on individual needs or circumstances as assessed by Seneca

Questions to consider when completing the application

Incremental travel costs

  • Did you purchase a bus pass for January that you otherwise would not have needed to purchase? As a result of the strike, were you required to return to finish your semester in January where you wouldn’t have had to otherwise? What essential additional costs did you have?
  • Did you have costs associated with flight changes or cancellations that Seneca was unable to assist you with by making academic accommodations (ex. rescheduling a test to prevent interfering with your flight)?

Incremental living expenses (including food and housing)

  • Were you required to extend rentals or leases due to the extension of the academic semester (ex. expected December graduation, or students leaving on placements in January)?

Incremental child care expenses

  • Were you required to pay for someone to care for your child(ren) outside of the times you already made arrangements due to changes to your student timetable?

Other incremental expenses

  • Do you have other essential expenses that occurred as a result of the strike that you would not have had otherwise? Please specify the expense and the reason.

Checklist for submitting an application

  1. Read the eligibility, timelines, and conditions above
  2. Complete the application form online on My.Seneca Full-time Student News
  3. Attach supporting documents (child care receipts, flight change fees, rental agreements) to support each item claimed.
  4. Submit the application form online

Next Steps

  • Once you have submitted your form and have responded to the electronic signature email, you will receive an email confirming that it was submitted successfully. It will include a copy of the attachments submitted
  • The application forms will be reviewed by Financial Aid
  • You can track the status of your application at the View My Student Awards link in your online Student Centre
  • Funds will be applied to your student account or issued by cheque, as indicated by student on the application form


  • If your claim is denied, or if the amount of relief you receive is less than the amount you claimed and you disagree with the amount you were given, you can appeal the decision. Click here for instructions on the appeal process.

Questions about form

Please email or visit your campus Financial Aid office.