Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Dual Credit Program?

The Dual Credit Program is a partnership program offered through Seneca and various school boards in the GTA. The program offers high school students with the unique opportunity to experience college by taking a college course while they are still in high school.

A “dual credit” is a college course offered to secondary school students. If the student is successful in the course, the student will receive two credits. The first credit goes towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma and the second credit can go towards a college course. Essentially, this means that for taking one dual credit course, a high school student can earn two credits (one towards their high school diploma and the other credit towards a college diploma).

Dual credit courses are completely FREE for high school students.

If you are a high school student, contact your high school guidance counsellor. If you are a teacher, school board representative or college staff member, please contact the Dual Credit Team.

Where are the dual credit courses offered?

Courses are offered at Newnham, Markham, Seneca@York and Jane Campus.

Seneca’s dual credit courses are delivered in the following ways:

Secondary school students are integrated into an existing college class taught by a college professor on campus, with current Seneca students.

A class with only secondary school students, taught by a college professor at the secondary school; or
A class with only secondary school students, taught by a college professor at Seneca.

Most of the dual credit courses are delivered in a congregated fashion at Seneca.

How is my dual credit course officially documented?

Once you successfully complete the course, you will receive a college grade published on your Seneca transcript. The grade will be sent (by the Seneca Program Assistants) to your high school principal and then documented on your secondary school transcript.

How much does it cost to take a dual credit course?

The Dual Credit Program is absolutely free! There is no cost to the student including tuition, books and other fees.

Who is eligible for the program?

Speak to your guidance counsellor to ask if you are eligible to take a dual credit course.

What services are available at Seneca for someone with a disability?

Seneca’s Counselling and Accessibility Services, The Learning Centre, and Health Services offer assistance programs and informational resources for dual credit students. To book an appointment and explore your options for accommodations, please visit Counselling and Accessibility Services.

The following represents the academic accommodations process as of August 2016:

Academic accommodations for dual credit students are provided on a temporary basis (only for the duration of your course). You will need to make another appointment if you enrol as a full-time student.

If you are a dual credit student with an Individual Education Plan (IEP):

Your Seneca counsellor will provide you with temporary accommodations such as extra time only. If you require more than extended time, a psychoeducational assessment or other relevant documentation from an appropriate regulated health provider must be provided. In this case, temporary academic accommodation will be issued and Seneca may provide additional services such as a note taker, if required.

If you are a dual credit student with a psychoeducational assessment (i.e. with diagnosis):

The Seneca counsellor may provide you with temporary accommodations such as extra time and/or a note taker, if required.

What are your responsibilities as a dual credit student?

  • Book your appointment as early as possible, call Counselling and Accessibility Services at the campus where you are taking your dual credit course. You will need to submit your student number to book your appointment. Please ensure you bring your OneCard to our first appointment.
  • Share your IEP and/or psychoeducational assessment with the counsellor at Seneca.
  • You will be interacting with counsellors/Seneca staff. Initially you may do so with the support of your parents/guardians or Dual Credit Teacher. Seneca follows an adult learning model and will be speaking directly with you on matters related to your performance in the course and/or your academic accommodations. Your support person (i.e. parent, Dual Credit Teacher) may assist you in understanding the academic accommodations process through a signed consent where you authorize communication between Seneca staff or counsellors. Your Seneca counsellor will assist you in completing the appropriate form.
  • After you meet with a counsellor at Seneca, based on your IEP/psychoeducational assessment, eligible students will have an academic accommodation letter prepared that outlines the academic accommodations that a student is entitled to. This letter will be delivered through a secure electronic system directly to your teaching faculty, the Dual Credit Program designate and the relevant Chair of your program.
  • You are encouraged to go to the Faculty’s scheduled office hours to introduce yourself, ask questions and provide your instructor(s) with any additional information you feel would be helpful in implementing your academic accommodations.
  • Notify your Seneca counsellor and/or Dual Credit Program designate should you experience difficulties with your academic accommodation letter.
  • Understand the differences between high school and college.

If you have any concerns with your academic accommodation, please contact a counsellor at your campus:

416.491.5050 ext. 22900
Room E2427

416.491.5050 ext. 55157
Room GH2118

416.491.5050 ext. 33150
Room S1175

416.491.5050 ext. 77508
Room M280

What if I do not complete the course?

If you do not complete the course, you can withdraw from the course prior to the withdrawal deadline. This will show as a “DNC” (Did Not Complete) on your Official College Transcript. A “DNC” does not affect your college GPA. To withdraw from a course, please contact both the Dual Credit Team and the Dual Credit Teacher or contact at your high school.

Do I need to come to every class?

To gain the full Seneca experience and successfully earn your credit, it’s imperative that you attend classes regularly. It is Seneca policy and school board policy that secondary school students attend class. Your course instructor will record weekly attendance, which is shared with your high school.

How do I get to Seneca on the day of my dual credit course?

Your high school Dual Credit Teacher will assist you in securing the appropriate transportation to the Seneca location that your course is being offered. Transportation to Seneca is free for dual credit students.

Will I get a Seneca student ID card?

As a dual credit student you will receive a student card called OneCard. At orientation you will be issued this photo ID card that grants you access to the Library, Computing Commons, Gym and so much more.

What is like to be a Seneca student?

As a dual credit student at Seneca, you can access a number of services offered at each of our campuses. If you can't find the service you need at the campus you are attending, you can visit any one of our other campuses to ensure your needs are met. Also, you are always encouraged to contact the Dual Credit Team if you have any questions while you are a dual credit student.

The Learning Centre
Counselling and Accessibility Services
Student Services
Career Services
Degree Transfer
Seneca Athletics and Recreation

What are the academic expectations while taking a dual credit course?

As a dual credit student, you are considered a Seneca student — following the same policies and regulations that Seneca asks its students to adhere to while they are completing their studies. It’s your responsibility to ensure you review the following policies for more information on Student expectations.

Academic Policies
Student Conduct Office

What are some useful links?

Seneca Links

  • My.Seneca - Access your course material, webmail, and important news and information about Seneca.
  • Webmail - Your email account where Seneca professors and staff can communicate with you.
  • Password Service - Seneca requires you to update your login password every 180 days.
  • Student Centre - You can check your final grades, change your mailing address and see your timetable.
  • Library Website - Your link to access free online articles, journals, books and etc.

External Links