What’s the big deal?? It’s JUST a class!!
- Attend class
- Course readings (including notes from class)
- Rewriting notes
- Reviewing class notes and notes taken from readings
- Meetings with Professors
I do have a LIFE…
- It’s all about balance
Time Table Deception
- It appears that you may have lots of time
- Requires effort, discipline, and commitment.
- Sacrifice…short term pain for long term gain.
- There are rewards!
- reduced stress
- academic success
- It’s a GOOD habit.
- Transferable to work and personal life.
- Book Time for Time Management…
- Record everything!
- IF you do not have time to record it, put it in your folder to be recorded later!!!
- Daily/Weekly Planner
- Break large tasks into smaller manageable ones.
- Use an assignment calculator to figure out how much time you need for each part
- The Assignment Calculator
- Put first things first – you prioritize!
- Schedule a date and time that you will complete each task.
- Do high priority tasks when you are most alert and motivated to work.
- Leave a few “just in case” time slots…expect the unexpected!
- “DO IT!!!!” Follow your plan!
- Evaluate your progress; if necessary make changes.
- Gives the “big picture” – all the tasks and commitments for the month.
- Use colour coding according to classes or personal appointments
- A wall calendar in room- makes it more visual!
- Email Sherri if you want a copy (Sherri.Parkins@senecacollege.ca)
- Find a specific time each day to prepare a start up To-Do list.
- Use a system that is easiest for you!
- Doesn’t matter WHAT you use!
- Record tasks/reminders - recording them helps with memory.
A = must be done
B = should be done
C = not absolutely necessary
Tips for Time Management
- Be prepared for setbacks. Review why you didn’t follow through with your plans and make adjustments.
- Keep in mind your goals. Use them to make decisions about how to spend your time.
- Reward yourself after you have achieved what you set out to do!
Tools for Time Management
- Use what works for you!
- Explore OneNote/Outlook
- Are friendly!
- You can make lots of appointments!
- They will help you become a survivor!
The Learning Centres: senecacollege.ca/learningcentres