I am delighted to welcome you to TEDxSenecaCollege.
Our theme for today’s event, “An open environment for citizenship,” is fitting and timely.
At Seneca, we pride ourselves in providing an open, collaborative environment where students, staff and alumni can test their skills and achieve excellence through their academic and career accomplishments. Each day, we see the benefits of this kind of environment, thanks to our many outstanding thought leaders and innovators. You’ll be hearing from some today.
We also believe strongly in the importance of citizenship. I am constantly inspired by the many ways our students and alumni distinguish themselves as engaged leaders at the College and in their many communities. Their passion as citizens brings an added energy and sense of purpose to our work.
Today’s speakers and performers represent a terrific cross-section of the Seneca community, including our industry partners and volunteers. Topics will range from human rights and shared technological advancement, to branding culture, literacy, sustainability and public service. This diversity speaks to the many teaching and learning opportunities available at Seneca, a sample of the countless conversations that arise inside and outside our classrooms.
In true TEDx style, today’s presenters are dedicated to sharing new and novel ideas for the benefit of others. Thank you for experiencing them with us.
An open environment for citizenship
Speaker Block 1 - “A connected society”
- Become knowledgeable about the ground breaking collaborative technological research happening at Seneca, specifically within the areas of open source;
- Obtain an understanding as to how technological innovation is continually changing societal norms and communication techniques;
- Develop an awareness of the benefits of shared research findings within web based technology.
Speaker Block 2 - “Creating a full citizenry”
- Instill an understanding and appreciation for public engagement and involved citizenship;
- Create an awareness of the power of the individual in facilitating social change;
- Develop an appreciation for philanthropic endeavors.
Speaker Block 3 - “Design to inspire”
- Develop an understanding of the importance of strategic planning and sustainable design principles;
- Identify strategies for evolving ideas from concepts to marketable products;
- Understand and appreciate new approaches to design taking place at Seneca and beyond.
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxSenecaCollege, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxSenecaCollege event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
March 29th, 2012
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Seneca, Newnham Campus
Bldg. A+, The Great Hall (A1531 A&B)
1750 Finch Ave East
Toronto, ON, M2J 2X5