Skip to main content

Return to school updates

Classes in our full-time programs have resumed. If you’re not sure where to go for assistance, please visit your Student Services office.

The Student Strike Relief Fund application is now online on My.Seneca Full-time Student News.

Below, are answers to the questions we've received regarding semester completion.

Frequently Asked Questions


I have questions about my program. Who should I ask?

If you have any questions about your program, please contact your student adviser. If you do not know how to reach your adviser, log into Student Centre. Your adviser’s name and contact information is listed on the homepage, as shown below.

Student Centre homepage:


What are the new semester dates?

Given the length of the strike, we will need to extend the fall semester into January to maintain academic integrity and meet program learning outcomes. 

Fall semester

  • The fall semester is expected to resume on Tuesday, Nov. 21 and will extend to Friday, Dec. 22.
  • There will be a holiday break from Saturday, Dec. 23 to Monday, Jan. 1 with no classes, tests, exams or assignments due from 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 22 to 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 2.
  • The fall semester will start again on Tuesday, Jan. 2. and will end on Tuesday, Jan. 9.

There may be special considerations for students expecting to graduate this December. Please contact your student adviser if this applies to you.

Winter semester

  • The winter semester will begin on Wednesday, Jan. 17 and will end on Tuesday,  April 24.
  • Study Week will run as planned from Monday, Feb. 26 through to Friday, March 2.

What are the new academic dates?

The updated academic dates are available on the Seneca website.

What if I have travel plans that conflict with the new fall semester dates?

We know that some of you made travel plans before the strike began and are unsure of what to do since the fall semester has now been extended to Friday, Dec. 22 with classes resuming Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Tuesday, Jan. 9.

We highly recommend that you attend your classes. For those of you who booked travel before Friday, Oct. 27, 2017 and can change your travel plans to attend the extended class schedule we suggest you do so. With the appropriate documentation such as proof of travel or receipts, we will help you with costs of up to $500 as outlined in the fund to support students who are suffering hardship because of the strike. There will be a form available soon with more details for you to complete.

For students who cannot postpone or cancel travel plans, and will be missing classes because of the extended semester, please send an email to your student adviser no later than Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017 with the following information:

  • Student name
  • Student number
  • Absence dates
  • Name of program

Your student adviser requires up to five school days to make arrangements with your program area for you to finish the academic work required while maintaining your travel plans. Due to program requirements there are some programs where alternate arrangements are not possible. Your student adviser will advise if you are in one of these programs.

Your student adviser will update a service indicator so you will know that your email has been received and that your student adviser is working on your completion arrangements. You can see this service indicator (Completion Arrangement) on the front page of Student Centre, upper right-hand corner, under the Holds section. You will receive an email outlining your completion plan once your student adviser has finalized the plan.


What is the Student Strike Relief Fund?

Full-time domestic and international students are eligible for the Student Strike Relief Fund if they remain enrolled in the fall semester at Seneca. Students who withdraw from their program and request a tuition refund are not eligible to apply for the fund.

The Student Strike Relief Fund application is available on My.Seneca Full-time Student News.

What will the fund cover?

The fund is meant for students who experience financial hardship due to strike-related reasons. Students who meet the criteria will be eligible to receive up to $500 for unexpected additional costs above and beyond the regular expected costs associated with the fall semester.

The eligible criteria includes additional expenses such as:

  • travel costs caused by the need to change travel
  • living costs such as housing, and added transportation costs
  • child care costs
  • other extra costs as a result of the strike.

What receipts do I need to submit?

Students planning to submit a claim to the fund should begin collecting receipts that will support the costs that you have incurred as a result of the strike. For example:

  • For changes to flights or train tickets you will need documented proof of original booking and payment receipts.
  • For child care costs you need receipts for additional costs from your daycare provider.

How do I apply for the fund?

The online Student Relief Fund application will be available starting next week through My.Seneca. An announcement on Student News will be made when the application is available.

You can apply for the fund until the end of the winter term on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.

Will this affect my OSAP?

No. The financial assistance that students receive from this fund will not impact your OSAP funding or eligibility. Living expenses included in your OSAP assessment will be taken into consideration when reviewing this application.

Is there other funding available?

We recommended that students also investigate other funding options including OSAP, tuition assistance bursaries and emergency funding that may be available.

As part of OSAP, the Government of Canada will also provide financial support for students affected by the strike. More details are available here.

If I withdraw from my program and have received OSAP, will I be placed on OSAP probation/restriction?

Students who withdraw from the fall 2017 term due to the strike between Tuesday, Nov.14 and Tuesday, Dec. 5 will not incur academic probations or restrictions on their OSAP accounts.

Do I need to contact the Financial Aid Office to have my OSAP application adjusted to reflect the study period extension into January 2018?

No. The Financial Aid Office will work with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) to automatically adjust the study periods of all students who require an extension.

When will the second instalment of my OSAP funding be released?

The Ministry has indicated that the OSAP funding release date for the winter 2018 term will not be impacted by the term extension. Therefore, students should expect the Financial Aid Office to begin to release funding in early January, 2018

Do I need to contact the Financial Aid Office if I decide to withdraw from my program and I have received OSAP funding?

You do not need to contact the Financial Aid Office as they will be notified through registration.

Do I need to contact the Financial Aid Office if I decide to withdraw from my program and I have NOT received OSAP funding?

No you do not need to contact the Financial Aid Office.

I am on OSAP and I am going to withdraw from my program (before Tuesday, Dec. 5 2017) due to the strike, and I know that I am entitled to a tuition fees refund for Fall 2017. What happens to my refund?

Colleges are being asked to return tuition refunds for OSAP students to the National Student Loan Service Centre. The refund will be applied against current debt and any remaining funds will be directed to the student.

International students

Where should I go to get assistance for health insurance, housing, study permits or visas?

International Student Services provides assistance for international students regarding health insurance, housing, visas, work permits.

  • King Campus GH2100 416.491.5050 ext. 55051
  • Markham Campus M188 416.491.5050 ext. 77192
  • Newnham Campus D2000 416.491.5050 ext. 22368
  • Seneca@York S1066 416.491.5050 ext. 33021
  • ELI students: Newnham Campus B4000 416.49.5050 ext. 22780

Please visit your nearest International Student Services office.


What are the initial steps I need to take to withdraw from the fall 2017 semester?

We know the recent strike has been stressful for many of you and that you may be considering withdrawing. We ask that before you choose to withdraw from your semester that you:

  • Review your revised course outlines and discuss the outline and class expectations with your professors/instructors.
  • Assess your current standing in your courses. We have extended the deadline to withdraw from your program to Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017.
  • Inquire about accommodations and supports available to help you successfully complete your semester by contacting your program coordinator, academic school leadership and the support services available on campus.

If you still wish to withdraw, visit the Registration office and complete a withdraw form. We’ll ask you to indicate whether you’ll be leaving the program and want a refund, or restarting your program

International students: Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has posted information on its webpage to clarify any effect your decision may have on your study permit status if you choose to withdraw or restart. Please read it carefully before you make a decision. If you have questions, please visit International Student Services or call 416.491.5050, ext. 22368.

Will I be penalized academically for choosing to withdraw from the semester?

If you choose to withdraw from classes before the deadline of Tuesday, December 5, 2017, there will be no academic penalty and your fall 2017 studies won’t be recorded on your transcript.

If I withdraw from the fall 2017 academic semester will I receive any credits?

If you withdraw, you will not receive any academic credit for the fall 2017 semester.

If I choose to withdraw from the fall 2017 academic semester, can I restart in the winter 2018 semester?

Seneca will try to accommodate all restart requests, but please note that many programs only admit students once per calendar year. We can’t guarantee that you’ll be re-admitted to your program for the winter 2018 term. Make sure to talk to your program chair or student adviser so you have a thorough understanding of the implications of withdrawing.