New international students who cannot attend Seneca as planned are required to notify the International Admissions Office. This notice must be received by the last day to drop course(s). Students who paid tuition have the option of deferring their studies to a future term or withdrawing from their program and requesting a refund.
Change of Plans?
Defer Admission to a Future Term
Only students who have paid their first-semester tuition fees can be granted deferred admission. Students may defer once only, with the exception of those enrolled in the English Language Institute (ELI) who may be granted a maximum of two deferrals. Any subsequent requests for deferral are considered new applications and will require a new application fee of $90.
ELI students who have arrived in Canada and taken their placement test are not eligible for deferral and need to withdraw from their program. This includes those who received direct entry to an ELI level and have already confirmed their attendance with the ELI Office.
All late deferral requests must be accompanied by a written appeal. Late deferrals that are granted are subject to a $200 late fee.
To request a deferral of admission to a future term, complete the following steps:
- fill out the Request to Defer Admission form (PDF)
- email the completed form to email@example.com from an email account registered with Seneca
Withdraw from Studies and Request a Refund
Students may be eligible to apply for a tuition refund if:
- a decision on their visa/study permit application has not been reached in time to attend classes
- the visa/study permit application has been refused
- students are unable to attend Seneca due to unforeseen circumstances
To request a tuition refund, the following documents are required and must be signed by the requesting student, not a third party:
- clear copy of valid passport showing both the identification and signature pages
- completed Request for Tuition Fee Refund (PDF) form
- completed Refund by Wire Transfer (PDF) form for payments made by wire transfer or Global Pay (Travelex) — handwritten forms will not be accepted; please download the PDF file and complete it electronically
- supporting documentation applicable to your reason for withdrawing:
- copy of visa/study permit refusal letter/email
- copy of letter of acceptance for another institution
- student direct stream (SDS) exit interview
Submit the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org from an email account registered with Seneca.
- $1,000 administrative fee will be withheld from your original payment for all requests
- requests submitted by the last day to drop course(s) due to visa/study permit refusal may be granted a reduced administrative fee of $200
- only refusal letters relevant to the term students are withdrawing from — and that are submitted with the Request for Tuition Fee Refund form (PDF) — will be considered
Refunds will be returned using the method they were paid:
- funds paid through Western Union Global Pay, Flywire, ICICI Bank/Unifee or CIBC International Student Pay will be returned back through their portal to the account from which it was paid
- credit card and Visa Debit payments will be refunded directly to the payment card
- payments made from Canada using Interac or Canadian bank payments will be refunded by cheque to a Canadian address or through e-transfer
- to be eligible for e-transfer, the refund must be issued directly to the student who has access to their Student Home account and holds a bank account at a Canadian banking institution