Project Management - Environmental
Program Learning Outcomes
This Seneca program has been validated by the Credential Validation Service as an Ontario College Credential as required by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Link projects with organization’s strategic plans, documenting the business needs and justifications for the project.
- Define and manage the overall scope of the project, documenting project goals, deliverables, constraints, performance criteria and resource requirements in consultation with project stakeholders.
- Develop a comprehensive project plan while applying principles of management for sustainability:
- Prepare effective plans for the approval of specialized profession specific practitioners.
- Integrate project functions, making trade-offs among competing objectives and alternatives in order to meet or exceed project objectives.
- Implement planning and control procedures, resource management, and risk management plans specifically related to the fields of environmental science and engineering.
- Employ a range of methodologies, techniques, and tools available to project managers including the use of foundational engineering and scientific principles applicable to analysis and solutions approach:
- Use mathematical and scientific analyses to identify and solve technical problems.
- Apply decision tree principles of logic to determine conclusions.
- Use principles of source-pathway-receptor model to identify potential areas of adverse impact, to define study sites and to select appropriate mitigative options.
- Select appropriate scientific and technical reference material.
- Relate physical and mathematical sciences to remediation and redevelopment work.
- Develop, implement, and analyze key financial information, translating financial information into project terms and establishing financial benchmarks.
- Identify, analyze, and refine project costs to produce a budget and control project costs.
- Determine quality requirements and implement quality assessment activities.
- Identify and allocate human resources required to manage project tasks, both within the core project team and the broader organization.
- Manage communications to ensure the timely and appropriate generation, collection, dissemination, storage and disposition of project information to aid in the achievement of project activities:
- Communicate information effectively and accurately by analysing, translating and producing relevant documents and reports, by written, oral and visual means.
- Interpret reports of technical specialists and make informed recommendations based on these reports.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences appropriate to their context and needs.
- Identify potential risk events, monitor and control risk events, and assess risk management outcomes:
- Monitor adherence to occupational health and safety regulations.
- Identify procurement requirements, establish procurement processes, and implement and evaluate contracts.
- Monitor project progress, identify variances and take timely action to deal with problems and opportunities:
- Monitor the quality and quantity of work.
- Anticipate and respond to challenges inherent in complex projects.
- Develop creative and flexible solutions that bring projects in on time and within budget.
- Practice of professional ethics and responsibilities:
- Interact with team and stakeholders in a professional manner, respecting differences, to ensure a collaborative project management environment.
- Perform job related tasks in a manner consistent with those of professional associations and other relevant bodies related to the environmental field.
- Exhibit a strong sense of integrity and ethical awareness.
- Be cognizant of the expectations and limitations of technology in problem solving and the limitations of specific professional practices.
- Recognize personal limits and seek assistance in a timely manner to resolve problems beyond own knowledge and skill.
- Apply knowledge of existing confidentiality, privacy and reporting regulations to daily work.
- Advocate adherence to ethical principles and standards.
- Keep abreast of relevant technological change.