The Exchange Application in Five Steps

If you are interested in applying to study at Seneca as an exchange student, please follow the steps below: 


Step 1 – Get Nominated by Your School

To study at Seneca as an exchange student, you must be a student at one of Seneca’s exchange partners, and you must be nominated by your home institution. Learn more by contacting the study abroad office at your home institution.

  • Nominations by your home institution are accepted no later than April 15 for the following fall (September) semester, no later than Oct. 1 for the following winter (January) semester and Jan. 15 for the following summer (May) semester. The nomination should include your name, GPA, current semester, program of study at your home institution and intended program of study at Seneca.
  • If approved, you and your international co-ordinator will receive an email from Seneca.
  • If your school does not have a formal exchange agreement with Seneca, contact your home institution’s study abroad office to email us at


Step 2 – Course Selection and Enrolment

As an exchange student at Seneca, you can take courses from a maximum of two programs, but at least 80 per cent of your courses must be from one program. Explore your program and course options

As part of your exchange application to Seneca, you are required to upload a completed Inbound Student Learning Agreement (PDF). A Learning Agreement allows you to list the courses you are interested in taking at Seneca. In order of preference, you will be asked to list no less than 10 courses for which you would like to request enrolment. While your preferences will be taken into consideration, enrolment in courses is subject to space and eligibility. In order to determine your eligibility, you will be required to upload an Academic Transcript as part of your application to Seneca. 

Please note: There will be a period during the first week of your semester when you will be able to make changes to your timetable. Any changes to your timetable must be reflected in a newly signed Learning Agreement no later than one week after the beginning of the semester.


Step 3 – Apply to Seneca

Once nominated by your home institution, you must apply using the Inbound Student Exchange Application. You will need to register (on the right side of the page) before logging in (on the left side of the page) in order to access the form. You will be able to save changes to this form using your credentials. When completing the form, please read the ‘Information’ page and instructions carefully.

Admission requirements vary for each program. Please visit the program pages on our website for specific academic requirements. 

Note that the following documents must be uploaded as part of your application: 

If English is not the primary language of instruction at your home institution, you may be required to provide proof of English proficiency. You must have an IELTS Academic score of 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in each individual band) or a TOEFL iBT 80. Alternatively, you may be required to demonstrate English proficiency with a speaking and writing test.

Reminder: You must be nominated by your home institution before completing this step. Applications from students who have not been nominated by their home institution will not be considered.

Application Deadlines

  • May 1 for fall (September) semester 
  • Oct. 10 for winter (January) semester 
  • Feb. 1 for summer (May) semester 

Applications are normally processed within six weeks of the application deadline.  


Step 4 – Offer of Admission

You will be sent a formal Offer of Admission letter once your application for admission has been received, approved and processed. The Offer of Admission letter is required to obtain the appropriate immigration documentation for studying in Canada.

Offer of Admission letters are sent electronically from Seneca to both you and your international co-ordinator. 


Step 5 – Entry Requirements to Canada

For entry into Canada as an exchange student, you may require documentation. The application process and time varies depending on your home country. The Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website provides the necessary information to determine what documentation you may need to study in Canada.

Note: It is not necessary to obtain a study permit if you are studying in Canada for less than six months.

Electronic Travel Authorization

If you are from a visa-exempt country, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. Travellers without a valid eTA may be not be able to board flights to Canada. You can find out if you need an eTA to enter Canada and apply for it on the Government of Canada website.

Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that you acquire the appropriate documentation to enter and study in Canada for your exchange experience. Please be sure to determine and acquire the necessary documentation well in advance of leaving your home country.



Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) rules are constantly changing. We recommend you check the CIC website and contact your nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date and accurate information.