What to expect when someone discloses:
Each survivor has their own personal experience, emotions and ways of coping. There is no right or wrong way to act when telling one’s story of sexual violence.
The important part is that you listen.
Steps to take:
- Believe the survivor. Remind them that it’s not their fault.
- Ensure their safety. If there is immediate danger or a life threatening emergency, dial ‘88’ from an internal phone or call 416.491.5050 ext. 88 to reach Campus Security.
- Seneca employees are for informing Campus Security of all disclosures of sexual assault or violence.
Security and Counselling an Accessibility Services will:
- Assist the survivor to access any necessary medical care.
- Liaise with police services if requested by the survivor.
- Develop a safety plan with the survivor.
- Offer emotional and academic accommodation support.
- Provide the survivor with on and off campus resources.