Accounting and Payroll
Program Learning Outcomes
This Seneca program has been validated by the Credential Validation Service as an Ontario College Credential as required by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Maintain paper and electronic accounting records and prepare financial statements for sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Employ management accounting techniques in the planning, directing, and controlling of an enterprise.
- Prepare routine tax returns for individuals ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Use mathematical techniques to support the financial management of a business organization including the preparation of financial information.
- Apply computer skills and knowledge of accounting information systems to support the accounting function including maintaining accounting records and preparing financial statements and reports and processing payroll.
- Recognize the impact of the operations of functional areas of an organization on its financial performance.
- Recognize, within the context of the Canadian business environment, the impact of factors such as economic variables, legislation, and ethics on business operations.
- Apply contemporary business communication practices and effective interpersonal skills to support the accounting, human resource, and payroll functions.
- Prepare, maintain, and communicate accurate information related to pensions administration.
- Plan personal professional development to enhance knowledge of current issues, trends, and practices in the payroll profession.
- Prepare, maintain, and communicate accurate information in compliance with all relevant employment legislation, law, policies and procedures for payroll, pensions, compensation and benefits.
- Use current payroll legislation to prepare individual pay including remuneration and deductions to net pay.
- Prepare payroll remittances and year end documentation for federal, provincial and third party stakeholders.
- Process payroll and accounting source documents to complete an accounting cycle using appropriate technology.
- Research and respond to payroll queries in a call centre setting, applying effective customer service techniques.